Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Immigration Firm in Scarborough, Toronto

What is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

The Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also known as a “visitor’s visa”, is a counterfoil document that is placed in an individual's passport which is used to enter or re-enter Canada. If an individual is traveling by air into Canada they are likely to require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Please note a TRV holder does not guarantee entry to Canada.

What are the requirements for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

If a foreign national is traveling from a visa-exempt country, found here, they do not require a TRV to enter Canada. If a foreign national is found to be admissible, a TRV will not be issued, and that individual cannot enter and visit Canada.

The main determining factor as to whether you require a Temporary Resident Visa before travelling to Canada, is nationality. If you are a citizen of a country that Canada has exempted from the Temporary Resident Visa requirement (known as a “visa-exempt” country), you must instead obtain an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before travelling to Canada by air (if travelling over land, visa-exempt individuals may obtain approval to enter Canada on a temporary basis at the Canadian border).


Quick Inquiry

Quick Inquiry Form

✓ Valid