Temporary public policy for out-of-status construction workers in the Greater Toronto Area: Who can apply

Author: Springwind Immigration Consulting Service Inc.. | | Categories: Immigration Company , Immigration Firm , Work Visa Canada

Temporary public policy for out-of-status construction workers in the Greater Toronto Area Who can apply.jpg

Who can apply

To be eligible for this public policy, you must meet all of the requirements. You must

You are not eligible if you’ve made a refugee claim in the past.

When you entered Canada

When you first came to Canada, you need to have entered legally as a temporary resident and fall under one of the following groups:

Group 1

You, at some point, had a valid work or study permit and were working in the construction industry in Canada.

Group 2

You were never authorized to work but you had temporary resident status as a visitor.

Living in Canada

You must be living in Canada now and have been living in Canada continuously for 5 years or more.

To prove that you have been living in Canada, you can use copies of a lease or rental agreement. If you don’t have a lease or rental agreement, you may use a combination of other documents such as

  • a letter from a landlord or property owner (the letter should include dates that you lived at that location)
  • bills or bank statements that have your name and address

Work experience

When you apply you must

  • be working in Canada and
  • have enough past work experience

Type of work experience

Your current and past work experience must be in the construction industry in the GTA in 1 of the occupations listed under

  • Major Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • NOC 7441 - residential and commercial installers and servicers
  • NOC 7521 - heavy equipment operators (except crane)
  • NOC 7611 - construction trades helpers and labourers

You must have done the work outlined in the NOC job description of your occupation as well as most of the main duties.

Find the NOC code and title for your job.

How much work experience

In the past 5 years, you need to have worked a minimum of 4,680 hours.

Your work experience can be from

  • 1 full-time job
  • 1 or more part-time jobs
  • a combination of full-time and part-time work

How to prove your work experience

If you’re part of group 1 you must include

  • your previous work permits
  • copies of your T4 tax slips
  • copies of your notice of assessments

Other examples of documents you can use to prove your past work experience include

  • reference letters from your employers or coworkers
  • copies of work contracts
  • pay stubs

See the document checklist IMM 0123 (PDF, 943 KB) to make sure you have all the documents you need to apply.

Language requirements

You must meet the minimum language requirements in either English or French. To measure your language skills we use the

To prove that you meet the language requirements

You need to take an approved language test. The test shows your abilities in writing, reading, listening and speaking.

You need to get a minimum of CLB/NCLC 4 for all 4 categories.

Include your test results with your application. If you don’t include them, we’ll send your application back to you without processing it.

The results of your test must be less than 2 years old when you apply.

Find out what tests to take and how to calculate your language levels.

Family in Canada

When you apply, you must have family living in Canada. This can be either

  • extended family in Canada who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
  • a spouse, common-law partner or child in Canada

To prove your relationship with your family in Canada, you can use copies of a:

Referral from the CLC

The CLC is responsible for checking if you meet the requirements. To be eligible, you must be referred to us by the CLC. If the CLC finds that you may be eligible, they print a referral letter and send it to us along with your application. Ask the CLC for a copy of the referral letter to keep for your own records.

Be admissible to Canada

You and your dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada for reasons other than overstaying your temporary resident status and working without a valid work permit.

An immigration officer will determine if you’re inadmissible. The CLC isn’t responsible for determining your admissibility.


Sorry, we experienced an error. Please check back later or contact the site administrator.