Citizenship Grant Application
Immigration Firm in Scarborough, Toronto
What is a Grant of Citizenship Application?
An application for a Canadian Citizenship Grant can come from several pathways discussed below. For most applicants this is the end goal of their immigration journey to Canada. Numerous steps must be taken when applying for Canadian citizenship depending on the pathway but majority of the applicants will come from the naturalization process.
There are four methods of becoming a Canadian citizen:
- Being Born in Canada
- Being Born Outside Canada to a Canadian Citizen
- Being Born Outside Canada: Citizenship by Adoption
- Applying for a Grant of Citizenship (Naturalization)
What are the requirements of a Grant of Citizenship Application (naturalization)?
The following are the eligibility requirements to become a Canadian Citizen:
- be a permanent resident of Canada
- be physically present in Canada for at least 1095 days preceding 5 years before applying
- have filed personal income taxes for at least 3 years preceding 5 year period before applying
- pass a knowledge test about Canada (if 18 and 54 years old)
- pass a language test Minimum CLB 4 for speaking and listening either English or French (if 18 and 54 years old)
- demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (18 and 54 years old)
- take oath of citizenship (if 14 years old or older)
- not be under review for immigration or fraud reasons
- not have unfulfilled conditions related to permanent residence
- not be under an effective removal order
- not be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds in or outside Canada
What are the requirements of URGENT processing of Citizenship Application?
To be eligible to apply for urgent processing, the reasons must be related to an emergency, such as:
- apply for a job OR avoid losing a job
- attend a Canadian school, college or university
- death or serious illness in family (cannot obtain a passport from country of origin)
- receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship