Canada Study Permits

Immigration Firm in Scarborough, Toronto

What is a Study Permit Application?

The Study Permit is for immigrants who are international students that wish to study from a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI). They can also work in Canada at limited periods under a study permit. The permit itself is a written authorization to engage in academic, professional, vocational or other education or training in Canada. Generally applicants can obtain a Study Permit before entering Canada but they can also obtain their Study Permit upon or after entry especially in cases where applicants are accompanying family members.

Please be advised that having a Study Permit does not allow the holder to enter Canada. This is why usually a Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is issued after approval of a Study Permit.

It is important to note that there are cases where a study permit is NOT required:

  • If a program of study is less than 6 months, such as:
    • a one-week intensive course on a specific subject
    • A training seminar that is only a few days or weeks long.
    • English as a Second Language (ESL) course, French training course, or a diploma program 
    • Taking a prerequisite course in order to be accepted into a post-secondary diploma or university degree program
  • If a member or family member of diplomats or foreign accredited representatives
  • If applicant is member of a designated armed forces of a foreign country
  • If applicant is a registered Indian

What are the requirements of a Study Permit Application and how can I expedite it faster?

The following are the general requirements of a Study Permit as well as the requirements of the Student Direct Stream for applicants who are eligible to obtain a Study Permit in an expedited process.

  • Acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Valid passport or travel document
  • Proof of funds to support yourself, and any accompanying family members
  • Letter of explanation (why you want to study in Canada)
  • Be a legal resident living in one of the following countries: China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Philippines, Senegal, and Vietnam 
  • Acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Must reside outside of Canada on application
  • Proof of payment of tuition for the first year of study
  • Minimum $10,000 CAD deposited in a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
  • Minimum CLB 6.0 in English or CLB 7 in French
  • Recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
  • Letter of explanation (why you want to study in Canada)


Applicants must have adequate funds for living expenses and their families in ADDITION to tuition which is calculated as follows:



$10,000 CAD (per year)

$833 (per month)

1 Family member

$4,000 CAD (per year)

$333 (per month)

Additional Family member(s)

$3,000 CAD (per year)

$255 (per month)




$11,000 CAD


1 Family member (18 years old or older)

$5,100 CAD


1 Family member (under 18 years old)

$3,800 CAD


Additional Family member(s) (18 years old or older)

$5,125 CAD


Additional Family member(s) (under 18 years old)

$1,903 CAD



Can you extend your Study Permit if expiring, what are the requirements?

A Study Permit holder can extend their Study Permit on the following conditions:

  • application for renewal was made 30 days before the expiry date
  • Any conditions on entry to Canada has been fulfilled
  • Student is in good standing with their learning institution
  • Student is remains in compliance with the eligibility criteria of a Study Permit

Implied Status

If the Study Permit expires when the student has applied for renewal and extension is waiting on the decision, the students can continue studying and working, just as long as they are with the same employer and under the same pre-existing conditions. This interim of waiting before the renewal and extension of a Study Permit is called implied status.

Post Graduate Work Permit

Students who are entering the final semesters of their program can be eligible to apply under this program and obtain a Work Permit to work in Canada after completing their studies. Please see Post Graduate Work Permit in the Work Permit section.

Quick Inquiry

Quick Inquiry Form

✓ Valid