Canadian Permanent Resident

Immigration Firm in Scarborough, Toronto

Springwind Immigration is aware of your desire to immigrate to Canada. In terms of immigration, this is combined with the requirement to choose an immigration program that would allow you to obtain permanent residency in Canada. Selecting the Right Immigration Program Can Be Challenging. Contact Us today, you will receive expert assistance on which option is right for you.  You will increase your chance of visa approval by working with one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). Our RCIC is licensed by the CICC to assist you by assessing your eligibility, reviewing all documentation, and submitting it to the Canadian government on your behalf.

What is Canada Permanent Residence?

A Canadian permanent resident is someone who has been granted permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada.

How I can apply for permanent residence in Canada?

It's possible that you may want to apply to become a Canadian Permanent Resident (also known as a Landed Immigrant). There are different ways to apply for immigration to Canada. You have to determine which immigration option is ideal for you and your family based on your qualification.

If you have higher education and skilled in specific field with many years of employment history, then you should consider Skilled Worker Immigration Pathway. If you are a business owner or a senior manager of a business, you should consider Business Immigration options.

If you have your love one in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, then you can immigrate to Canada under family reunification program. If none of the above fits you, check out the refugee and humanitarian program to see if your unique situation makes you eligible for these programs.  

If all of these do not fit you, then you may need to come to Canada to study or work first, then later you will be able to apply for PR.

Skilled Worker Immigration

Under its Immigration Levels Plan, Canada aims to welcome well over 400,000 immigrants every year. Some 60 per cent of these immigrants arrive as skilled workers. The main way skilled workers can immigrate to Canada is through the Express Entry application management system.

The second main way is through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), followed by Quebec’s skilled worker programs, and then a few other targeted federal programs.

Express Entry Federal

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Through the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP), Canada’s provinces and territories can nominate people who wish to immigrate to Canada and reside in a particular province. Canada seeks to welcome over 100,000 immigrants per year under the PNP.

All provinces and territories, except for Quebec and Nunavut, has its own PNP. Each province determines its own criteria for choosing eligible candidates.

PNPs operate Expression of Interest (EOI) systems, similar to Express Entry, and invite the highest scoring candidates in regular draws. You do not need to have an Express Entry profile to apply. You can apply directly to a PNP stream.

These are called ‘base’ streams or non-express-entry PNP streams. You can also apply to PNP streams that are aligned with Express Entry.

These are called ‘enhanced’ streams or express-entry based PNP streams. 

The benefit of applying to an enhanced stream is that it gives you more options. Receiving a provincial nomination through these streams awards Express Entry candidates an additional 600 Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points. This practically guarantees receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residence in a subsequent Express Entry draw.

Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP)

If you are interested in Atlantic Canada, you can benefit from the unique Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP). Atlantic Canada includes four provinces:

You will need a job offer from an eligible employer in Atlantic Canada. Employer can only use licensed recruiter to help them find talented foreign workers. Springwind Immigration holds Recruiter License for Nova Scotia.

The job-offer employer give to a foreign worker is exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), however employer still need to demonstrate their recruitment efforts to recruit local candidates first. Once the candidate accepts the job offer, the employer must connect the candidate with a designated organization that will help him or her develop a settlement plan. Employers who wish to quickly fill the position also have access to a temporary work permit.

Quebec Immigration

The province of Quebec has its own immigration system with its own selection criteria that is separate from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) programs and also separate from the PNP. Applicants who are selected to immigrate to Quebec are given a Quebec Selection Certificate, or Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ). This is a document that is issued by Quebec’s Immigration Ministry. You are able to apply for a CSQ through one of Quebec’s immigration programs.

The Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) is for skilled workers who wish to immigrate to Quebec and become permanent residents of Canada. The Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) is popular among international students who have completed their post-secondary education in Quebec. This program is also for foreign skilled workers with work experience in the province.

Other Federal Skilled Worker Programs

Additional targeted federal skilled worker programs exist that help certain immigration candidates gain permanent residence. The additional federal programs include:

Business Immigration

Businesspeople have several options that may allow you to fast-track the Canadian immigration process.   

If you wish to immigrate to Quebec, the province also has its own.  

Quebec business immigration programs

Many PNP streams also have immigration streams specifically for entrepreneurs and other business people. Please explore more PNP entrepreneur programs.

Family Sponsorship

The Canadian government is committed to keeping families together. As such, Canada aims to welcome over 100,000 new immigrants every year to join their family. 

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their immediate family members including their spouse/common-law partners and dependent children as well as their extended family members including their parents and grandparents. They may be even eligible to sponsor their lone relative.

Spouses or common-law partners and dependent children.

Parents and grandparents.

Other relative.

You will need to sign an 'undertaking' in order to sponsor your family. This means that you will be financially responsible for the person you will sponsor. For example, if they require social assistance, you may have to pay it back.


If you are displaced and unable to return to your country due to fear of risk to your life, Canada offers protection to the world’s people like you through the Canadian refugee protection programs. If you are in Canada without status for many years and have established significant ties to Canada and would face unusual hardship if you return to your home country, you may want to try humanitarian application as the last resort to access your Canadian permanent resident status.

What advantages come with permanent residency status?

  • A "family status" that permits both applicants(spouse) to hold full-time jobs.
  • Free education for children, health, social provisions for the whole family.
  • Apply for super visa for parents or grandparents.